I couldn’t resist asking Gene Epstein, who was once book review editor for Barron’s, to share with us and discuss some of the books that have shaped his thinking as a libertarian, so here we go!
Gene’s Recommended Books (Mentioned and Not Mentioned)
How Children Fail, by John Holt
Growing Without Schooling, by John Holt
Growing Up Absurd, by Paul Goodman
The Case Against Education, by Bryan Caplan
American Power and the New Mandarins, by Noam Chomsky
In Defense of Anarchism, by Robert Paul Wolff
The Poverty of Liberalism, by Robert Paul Wolff
Man, Economy and State, by Murray Rothbard
Economic Controversies, by Murray Rothbard
For a New Liberty, by Murray Rothbard
Anarchy, State and Utopia, by Robert Nozick
Losing Ground, by Charles Murray
What It Means to Be a Libertarian, by Charles Murray
Coming Apart, by Charles Murray
Knowledge and Decisions, by Thomas Sowell
The Economics and Politics of Race, by Thomas Sowell
The Quest for Cosmic Justice, by Thomas Sowell
Please Stop Helping Us, by Jason Riley
Pictures of the Socialistic Future, by Eugene Richter
National Economic Planning: What Is Left, by Don Lavoie
Why Government Fails So Often (and How It Can Do Better), by Peter Schuck
Additional Book Mentioned
A Conflict of Visions, by Thomas Sowell
Ep. 847 A Conflict of Visions: Michael Malice and Tom Talk Thomas Sowell
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.
Audio Production by: