The Austrian School of economics, the school of thought that includes Ludwig von Mises, F.A. Hayek, and Murray Rothbard — and which influenced Ron Paul, of course — is the subject of the Mises Institute’s week-long Mises University summer program, which I’m attending right now. In the course of taking notes on my computer to help my 14-year-old daughter understand the concepts better, I realized there were some foundational parts of Austrian economics that some listeners may enjoy hearing clarified.
So in this episode I actually show how we can derive economic laws from the apparently sterile axiom that “human beings act.” I also discuss where prices come from, and what the fundamental problem with socialism is.
Ep. 527 Is Austrian Economics Unscientific Because It Doesn’t Conduct Experiments? (Jeff Herbener)
Ep. 513 Can We Decide on a Main Problem with Socialism? Also: Why the Austrians Are Right About Monopoly (Jeff Herbener)
Ep. 456 Monopoly Is Everywhere, Say Mainstream Economists; Austrians Roll Eyes (Jeff Herbener)
Ep. 408 The Main Reason Socialism Can’t Work (Mateusz Machaj)
Ep. 289 Austrian Economics vs. the Mainstream (Randall Holcombe)
Ep. 257 Austrian Economics vs. a Mainstream Text (Jeff Herbener)
Ep. 230 Austrian Economics and the Liberty Movement
Ep. 104 How Austrian Economics Differs (Shawn Ritenour)
Ep. 16 Austrian Economics: Why It Matters
Listener Website Mentioned
Learn the history they didn’t teach you at Tom’s Liberty Classroom. Get a discount via our coupon page: LibertyClassroom.com/coupons.
The Contra Cruise
Join us October 15-22 for an unforgettable week at sea!
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.
Audio by Chris Williams Audio.