Today’s episode reaches back into history to the overlooked example of Genoa, where we discover the late medieval origins of entrepreneurial skills and institutions that formed the springboard for early modern economic development. The forgotten republican tradition of Genoa, moreover, poses an interesting alternative to the militarist and statist views of Machiavelli.
About the Guest
Matteo Salonia, previously a lecturer in history at the University of Liverpool, will be teaching at King’s College in the fall.
Get a free trial set (just an eeny weeny shipping charge) from Harry’s razors — handle, five-blade cartridge, and shave gel — when you sign up at Harrys.com/woods.
Genoa’s Freedom: Entrepreneurship, Republicanism, and the Spanish Atlantic
Learn the history they didn’t teach you at Tom’s Liberty Classroom. Get a discount via our coupon page: LibertyClassroom.com/coupons.
The Contra Cruise
Join us October 15-22 for an unforgettable week at sea!
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.
Audio by Chris Williams Audio.