The federal government has extended its authority into so many areas, and employed statutory language so vague, that ordinary people have found themselves criminals without having done anything they believed to be unlawful. Harvey Silverglate has observed this trend firsthand over the course of his long career in the law, and he joins me to discuss how bad it is, and what we can do.
I’m not overwhelmed by email anymore, thanks to Sanebox. Try it for two weeks for free. You’ll thank me, I promise. Plus, you get a $25 Tom Woods Show credit toward a subscription if you decide to continue. Get your mental health back with Sanebox! Click here to check it out.
About the Guest
Harvey Silverglate, a graduate of Harvard Law School, is an advocate for civil liberties, and he is an attorney, writer, and non-profit activist. He is counsel to Boston’s Zalkind, Rodriguez, Lunt & Duncan LLP, specializing in criminal defense, civil liberties, and academic freedom/student rights law. He is the co-founder and Chairman of FIRE (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education).
Three Felonies a Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent
Ep. 850 How Federal Bureaucrats Are Making Criminals Out of Ordinary People (Richard Mack)
Listener Website Mentioned
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.