Obamacare is back in the news as the prospect of its repeal is discussed in the media. The Los Angeles Times ran seven charts that are supposed to show Obamacare has not been a failure, as Republicans contend, but a great success. Bob Murphy joins me to get to the bottom of it.
About the Guest
Robert P. Murphy, who holds a Ph.D. in economics from New York University, is a Research Assistant Professor with the Free Market Institute at Texas Tech University and a Research Fellow at the Independent Institute. He is the author of numerous books, including Choice: Cooperation, Enterprise, and Human Action (Independent Institute, 2015), as well as study guides to Ludwig von Mises’ Human Action (study guide here) and The Theory of Money and Credit (study guide here), and Murray Rothbard’s Man, Economy, and State (study guide here).
Praxis gives young people an opportunity to avoid college debt and get real job experience — plus a job offer paying at least $40,000 per year at the end, with the average salary being $55,000. Get the details plus some goodies at tomwoods.com/praxis.
“Republicans Call Obamacare a ‘Failure.’ These 7 Charts Show They Couldn’t Be More Wrong,” by Michael Hiltzik
Other Books by the Guest
Lessons for the Young Economist (free textbook; click here for a free teacher’s manual)
Chaos Theory (available free)
Understanding Bitcoin (with Silas Barta; available free)
The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism (also available as an audiobook)
The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal (also available as an audiobook)
The Primal Prescription: Surviving the “Sick Care” Sinkhole, by Doug McGuff, MD and Robert P. Murphy, PhD
Listener Website Mentioned
Ep. 651 Austrian School Physician on What’s Wrong with Health Care (Michel Accad)
Ep. 541 Just How Much Has Government Screwed Up Health Care? An ER Doctor Explains — and Tells Us How to Fix It (Doug McGuff)
Ep. 530 Dr. Mary Ruwart on Crime, Terrorism, Medicine, and Other So-Called Services the Government Screws Up (Mary Ruwart)
Ep. 481 How Capitalism Can Fix Health Care (Josh Umbehr)
Ep. 284 Ben Swann on Health Freedom, ISIS, and More (Ben Swann)
Ep. 266 Get Healthy (Mark Sisson)
Ep. 254 What’s Wrong With Health Care (Colin Gunn)
Ep. 193 Affordable Healthcare in the Age of Obamacare (Sean Parnell)
Ep. 191 Market Medicine (Charles Sauer)
Ep. 799 Trump’s Carrier Policy: How Should Libertarians React?
Ep. 780 A Gallop Through the History of Economic Thought
Ep. 684 Debate on Free Trade, with Bob Murphy and Vox Day
Ep. 516 Listen to this Episode; Your Life May Depend on It — How to Secede from a Perverse Medical System
Ep. 470 Debate, Murphy vs. Block: May Libertarians Accept Government Money?
Ep. 447 Woods and Murphy Are Pro-Choice, or: Mises Made Easier
Ep. 430 Robert Reich Dead Wrong on $15/Hour Campaign
Ep. 417 Paul Krugman’s Three Huge Errors
Ep. 389 Climate Change and the Bogus Case for Carbon Taxes
Ep. 367 Murphy Takes on Krugman on Recessions, Business Cycles
Ep. 331 No, Progressives, Lower Tax Rates on the Rich Don’t Wreck the Economy
Ep. 316 Who Will Build the Roads?
Ep. 305 Is $2 Gas the Worst Thing to Happen to America
Ep. 291 Japan: Failed Keynesian Experiment
Ep. 270 How Would Libertarians Deal With Ebola?
Ep. 253 Chicago vs. Austria, Bitcoin, and More
Ep. 199 The Fed and the Taper
Ep. 183 Private Defense?
Ep. 159 Piketty’s Problems
Ep. 136 Private Law?
Ep. 123 Climate Change and Liberty
Ep. 96 World-Destroying Fallacies
Ep. 81 Raise the Minimum Wage?
Ep. 67 The Economics of Obamacare
Ep. 48 What’s Wrong with the Economy?
Ep. 38 Murphy Takes on MMT
Ep. 20 Murphy Answers Questions II
Ep. 8 Murphy Answers Questions I
Listener Website Mentioned
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.