Marco Bassani of the University of Milan joins me to discuss the idea of the modern state — centralized, one and indivisible, exercising a monopoly on violence over its territory, with no subdivisions having rights of their own that trump those of the central state. We also discuss an incident at his university that will sound sadly familiar to American listeners.
If you’re tired of doom and gloom in your financial analysis, Merk Research offers a balanced, unbiased approach to the market and economy. Get a three-month free trial of their material at tomwoods.com/research.
Chaining Down Leviathan: The American Dream of Self-Government 1776-1865
Listener Website Mentioned
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.