James Otteson is the author of an excellent new book: Honorable Business: A Framework for Business in a Just and Humane Society. He discusses the purpose of business, outlines a sound approach to business ethics, and contends that contrary to popular prejudice, business can play an important role in building a just and humane society. So I ask him, as devil’s advocate: can there be a genuine code of business ethics in a market economy? Wouldn’t the most unscrupulous earn the highest profits and displace more ethical firms? And as for business firms and “treating people the right way,” as Otteson titles one of his chapters, what about businesses whose closures decimate a whole town? Plenty to discuss in this important episode!
Simple Habit is a meditation app that takes five minutes of your time, that you can use on the go (you don’t have to be in the lotus position in a dark room), and which helps with specific kinds of problems. It has 65,000+ five-star reviews for a reason. Chances are, you need this. My listeners can take 30% off the premium membership at SimpleHabit.com/woods.
Honorable Business: A Framework for Business in a Just and Humane Society
Ep. 1432 Finally, a Brilliant Pro-Market Business Ethics Book
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.
Audio Production by: