The “social contract,” which we are said to have consented to “implicitly,” is the primary way we hear the state justified. Our opponents on social media seem to consider this a devastating reply, as if we’ve never heard it before. Taxation isn’t theft because we’ve all agreed to it via the social contract, they say. Uh huh. Sure. This episode puts the social contract through the shredder.
The Problem of Political Authority: An Examination of the Right to Coerce and the Duty to Obey, by Michael Huemer
Ep. 865 Taxation Isn’t Theft, Because of the Social Contract
Ep. 545 About That Social Contract I Never Signed….
Ep. 243 Why Arguments for Government Don’t Work
Ep. 100 Are There Good Arguments for the State?
The Contra Cruise!
Join Bob Murphy and me for our 2019 cruise, featuring special guests Gene Epstein and Brad & Dedra Birzer!
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.
Audio Production by: