Neoclassical economics insists that a separate class of goods, called “public goods,” cannot, because of their peculiar characteristics, be efficiently provided by the market and must instead be financed and produced by the state. The Austrian School rejects this line of argument. Today Jakub Wisniewski, author of a new book on the subject, takes on public goods theory and addresses the two toughest cases: law and defense services on the market.
Black Friday pricing has begun for Indochino, North America’s premier outlet for made-to-measure men’s suits, for people using promo code WOODS. Entering WOODS at checkout gets you up to 70% off everything. Visit them at Indochino.com.
The Economics of Law, Order, and Action: The Logic of Public Goods
Ep. 864 The Bogus Public Goods Rationale for Government
Ep. 597 Can the Private Sector Protect Against Crime? This Case Study Will Blow Your Mind (Dale Brown)
Ep. 557 The State’s Corruption of Private Law, or We Don’t Need No Legislature (Stephan Kinsella)
Ep. 183 Private Defense? (Robert P. Murphy)
Ep. 136 Private Law? (Bob Murphy)
Ep. 130 The Fallacies of ‘Public Goods’ (Jeff Herbener)
Ep. 94 Public Goods, Private Communities (Fred Foldvary)
Listener Website Mentioned
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.
Audio by Chris Williams Audio.