Here’s how we learn about so-called landmark legislation in school: your wise public servants identified a problem, and then put their heads together in a disinterested, dispassionate way to solve it, and improve life for everyone.
In fact, the real roots of legislation often turn out to be far more mundane. The Sherman Antitrust Act, as Patrick Newman explains, is one such example.
Looking to add Bitcoin to your IRA? BitTrustIRA helps you seamlessly and securely add cryptocurrency to your portfolio. Download your free copy of their Cryptocurrency IRA Investor’s Guide at BitTrustIRA.com/woods. Or give them a call at 855-642-8800.
Revenge: John Sherman, Russell Alger and the Origins of the Sherman Act
The Progressive Era, by Murray N. Rothbard
Ep. 513 Can We Decide on a Main Problem with Socialism? Also: Why the Austrians Are Right About Monopoly (Jeff Herbener)
Ep. 456 Monopoly Is Everywhere, Say Mainstream Economists; Austrians Roll Eyes (Jeff Herbener)
Ep. 232 The Robber Barons and Monopoly
Ep. 804 Revisiting the Depression You’ve Never Heard Of
Ep. 418 The Truth About One of Those Pre-Fed Depressions
Listener Website Mentioned
The Contra Cruise!
Join Bob Murphy and me for our 2018 cruise, featuring special guests and tons of fun!
1) Free guide on how to start your blog or website. Click here to get it. Plus, check out my step-by-step video taking you from no blog to a blog in about five minutes!
2) Free publicity for your blog. As a special thanks if you get your hosting through one of my affiliate links (this one for Bluehost, or this one for WP Engine), I’ll boost your blog. Click here for details.
3) Free History Course: The U.S. Presidents — Politically Incorrect Edition. Get access to this 22-lesson course: 22 videos, 22 mp3 files for listening on the go, and a bibliography of reliable books on the presidents. Get it at FreeHistoryCourse.com!.
4) $160 in Free Bonuses. Free signed copy of my New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, plus a free 10-lesson bonus course on the foundations of liberty, plus a free year’s subscription to LibertyClassroom.com, when you subscribe to the Ron Paul Curriculum site through RonPaulHomeschool.com.
5) Free Books. Boost your intellectual ammunition with my free libertarian eBooks, including 14 Hard Questions for Libertarians — Answered, Bernie Sanders Is Wrong, and Education Without the State. Find them at TomsFreeBooks.com.
Audio by Chris Williams Audio.