Friday’s Tom Woods Letter, which all the influential people receive every weekday. Be one of them.
The redefinition of words proceeds fast and furious. America First now means safe zones in Syria, and “fascist” and “Nazi” mean, well, pretty much anyone.
I’ve already written to you about a group at the University of Kansas calling anarcho-capitalism “fascist.” That’s pretty uncomprehending right there, even for the left.
On social media people are saying things like, “Literal Nazis are in the White House.” Literal Nazis?
People saying these things have lost the capability for rational thought.
The Nazis actually believed specific things. There is such a thing as the “historical record,” which quaint fellows like me refer to from time to time.
Historian Thaddeus Russell, no friend of Trump by a long shot but someone who believes in “fascist” things like the fixed meanings of words, recently posted the following list of policies from Nazi Germany. None of these bear the slightest resemblance to anything going on in the U.S. right now, or to anything being proposed by almost anybody.
1) Opposition political parties banned.
2) Government control over major industries.
3) Conversion of manufacturing industries to military production.
4) Universal military conscription.
5) Labor conscription.
6) Ban on independent labor unions; mandatory membership of all workers in state-controlled national labor union.
7) State propaganda promoting worship of Hitler and demanding the complete merger of individual identity with the nation-state.
8) Mass arrests of communists, socialists, social democrats, homosexuals, prostitutes, alcoholics, juvenile delinquents, and the chronically unemployed.
9) Concentration camps for the above groups.
10) Nationalization of media and the arts.
11) Criminalization of foreign cultures (e.g., the banning of jazz and listening to foreign radio stations).
12) Mandatory public schooling, with curriculum teaching love for Hitler, obedience to Nazi authority, military discipline, racism, eugenics, and antisemitism.
13) Mandatory membership in Hitler Youth for all Germans 18 and under; conscription of youth for agricultural work.
14) Forced sterilization and euthanasia of the genetically and mentally “unfit,” including prostitutes and promiscuous women.
15) Revocation of all civil rights, expulsion, incarceration, and ultimately genocide of “racially inferior” citizens: Gypsies, Slavs, and Jews.
16) Conquest and colonization of territory “belonging” to “Aryan” race.
No program like this is being contemplated, much less implemented, by anyone.
So to all the geniuses calling everyone a “Nazi”: how about shutting up?